Thursday, February 07, 2008

Shadow Stabbing #1


Okay. The viral video experiment here at RSL is now under way. I will be posting a video every Friday from now on and I hope to get sixteen of them done before the summer. If it goes well, I'll start up again in September.

I'm still learning how to get the most out of Windows Movie Maker. In fact, this first video showcases my limited video editing abilities more than it actually presents any useful information about editing academic texts. I will be more focused on content next week but do note the coffee-cup transitions at the beginning and the yeah-out at the end. These could still be improved but I'm really quite proud of how this video looks.

When asked whether writers should give interviews, Nabokov emphasized "the opportunity it affords me to construct in the presence of my audience the semblance of what I hope is a plausible and not altogether displeasing personality" (1969 Vogue interview, reprinted in Strong Opinions, p. 158). I feel a bit like this here. Vain as I am, I've had my doubts about coming out from behind the written text. But I hope I can construct a plausible and pleasant personality to associate with an editor. I see it as an opportunity to put a human face on grammar (I know, I know ... What could possibly be more human? A modern human face, let us say).

I'm planning to keep each video post under six minutes. We'll see how topics develop differently in this medium and whether it is a useful supplement to the written blog at all. Do let me know what you think, either by email or in the comments (either here or over at YouTube).

I'll be back next week. Until then, keep searching, and keep writing. Yeah ...

No comments: