Monday, March 25, 2013

Break

Following my own advice, I'm taking a scheduled one-week break from blogging. This blog is updated on a regular schedule in eight week periods from February to March, April to May, mid-August to mid-October, and mid-October to mid-December. This discipline is part of my effort to let my ideas about scholarly writing form (perfect themselves) gradually in discourse. I'll be back on Tuesday, April 2, for another eight weeks of posts, twice a week, every Tuesday and Thursday at 7:00 AM.

2 comments:

NINEL ÇAM said...

"I'll be back on Tuesday, April 2, for another eight weeks of posts, twice a week, every Tuesday and Thursday at 7:00 AM"

Why at 7:00 AM?
Why not every Tuesday and Friaday?
Why does one needs this regulation, or is it self regulation?

Thomas said...

The only discipline that really works is self-discipline. The author in me relies on the rest of me, who has many others things to do, to give me time to write. By having two deadlines a week on this blog, I establish a regular rhythm in my thinking about scholarly writing. It's good discipline.

The days are of course somewhat arbitrary, but once I'm committed to them, it's easier to carry out if I stick to them.

Why 7:00 AM? Because I have made a deal with my family to leave me alone every morning until 7:00. So between 6:00 and 7:00 I always have an hour to write. That's plenty of time to write a blog post (about something I've been thinking about over the past few days).

You need regulation because you need regular practice in order to become good at something and, thereafter, to keep yourself in shape. It's like sports or music.